Crochet and Crafts... How Could I Forget You?!?!

 I made that whole intro post and totally forgot my absolute favorite thing that I can legitimately talk about for hours and hours. CRAFTING! I love crafting all sorts of things! Crochet and woodworking are my favorites, and ones I fall back to time and time again. 

I used to crochet and make wood animal puzzles, many many moons ago, but I never made enough money with it to keep going. Story of my life, right? I had given up on many crafts for years, because HELLO DEPRESSION, kindly fuck off!! Long story short, depression kicked my ass, religion got me back out, then religion kept me feeling not good enough. That's a rant for another post, though. 

I loved to crochet. I can't think of a time when I didn't have at least one tote full of yarn in my house. I crochet Christmas gifts and birthday gifts, and things just because I can. I recently crocheted my (ADULT) niece a dick doll. Yes, you read that right. A crochet doll with a penis. She wanted her doll's dick to be purple, so I did it. And she absolutely loves it. A few years back, I made lap blankets for all the ladies at my church for Christmas. I think I had made something like 700 flower granny squares for those blankets, and I haven't touched that pattern since then. 

My problem has always been that I don't know how to sell things. I just enjoy the process of making things, never thinking about the income I need to keep making things for people. Earlier this year, I dropped what felt like a small fortune on yarn and crochet hooks, but the yarn is the best yarn I have ever used! I had always made do with yarn from Walmart, because until we moved to West Virginia, Walmart was the closest store that had yarn. Then I discovered Hobby Lobby. Say what you want about them, since people who are against Christians are very much against that store, but they have the absolute BEST yarn I have ever used. And it's not like it's crazy expensive either. 

I loved to use my scroll saw and make the animal puzzles. I loved the feel of the saw and the wood. I loved the smell of the freshly cut wood. Poplar wood has always been my favorite to work with because it's a hardwood, so I barely need to do any sanding at the end, and it always cuts so beautifully. Earlier this year, my husband had bought me a bunch of wood to start my woodworking again. It's been at least 6 months, and go figure, I haven't finished much of any of them at all, and certainly haven't sold any of them either. 

I've started to get back into these crafts, and I'm starting to try to branch out into other crafts, like making runes with slices of tree branches I collect from the woods. Yes, I do witchy things, and consider myself Christian-ish. That's another whole post, or series of posts though. I want to make some sort of craft with the stones I've collected from Lake Erie, and from the Ohio River, though I haven't figured out just what to make yet. 

Keep an eye out for new posts, and see what chaos I bring upon myself! 

Comments

Popular Posts